15.7.09

FIRST DAY IN SOWETO!

On June 4th, also known as Independence Day in America, my mother and I went to Soweto to stay with a woman named Nobesuthu, who started this organization my mom is working with, and she showed us around.

The first place we went to was Nelson Mandela's house/museum. I learned a lot and had a lot of my questions answered about Nelson Mandela and what really happened. It's just amazing that he was arrested and had to go to jail for so long, just because he was fighting for what was right. Then he got out of prison and became the first black South African president! And he is still alive!

After our tour at the Mandela's House we went to the Hector Pieterson Museum. He was the first child killed during the Soweto Youth Uprisings. He was only 13, same age as me, innocently killed by the Afrikaans. Afrikaans are South Africans from Holland who created Apartheid and they tried to force their language, which is Dutch, in the school system. The students did not want to be forced to learn this language because they knew it was wrong and they started a protest. Pictures are coming.


No comments:

Post a Comment